The time finally came when I couldn't put off the "stool makeover" any longer. I think my housemate would have gone mad. (Thanks Gwinne for putting up with this beautiful piece being stuck by the back door for weeks! Haha!)
The photos should be self explanatory, I hope they are as I really didn't have a clue what I was doing and just sort of... winged it.
Obviously the first thing was to paint the pre sanded stool, easy.
From here on, I had no idea how to execute said stool makeover. Most normal people would have googled, I just decided I could figure it out as I went along. This is a flaw of mine that I always intend on changing but never do. I have the complete inability to plan before doing. Some call that inpatient. Mwwahaa.
The first bit was easy, using some card I drew around the top of the stool and cut out two templates to pin onto the foam.
The next action can only be described as hacking the living day lights out of the foam. As you can see, it looks a complete and utter mess but it did end up in a seat shape. Just. Luckily once covered in fabric you couldn't see my bodged job! I'm not sure scissors were the right thing to use but alas, I used them anyway!
Check out my new staple gun! I feel proper badass with this! I need more things to staple in my life!
Again, I didn't find out how to cover the cushion correctly, I just turned the stool over, pulled the fabric tight and started shooting staples in it. It worked so small victory for the unprepared! Finally using some fabric glue, I stuck on some mini pom pom trim around the edge.
And this is the final result! It's not perfect but I love it! Proof that someone else's rubbish, with a little bit of effort, can make a nice (and free!) addition to your house!
Stool F R E E!
Fabric £3.20 (for 1 fat quarter so lots extra)
Pom Poms £0.99
Staple Gun £8.99 (investment, i'll use this again!)
Total = £19.68
*I already had left over paint from my chest of drawers and the fabric glue so I haven't added these into my total.