DIY: Make Your Own Glitter Nail Polish


I can't tell you how excited i've been to do this tutorial so today, when the package of glitters finally arrived, I couldn't wait! I have no patience. None. At. All. 

I'm not usually a fan of glitter nails but I saw a photo of a nail polish pretty similar to what I'm going to make and I had to have it! The nail polish I saw was also handmade in America, currently unavailable to purchased and would have cost £17 to buy with P&P.

For less, I decided to make my own AND I have SO much glitter left I could easily make another 10 bottles or make different combinations! 

Fancy giving it a try? 

You'll need:

Glitter. Lots of it. For the look I wanted, I got a combination of small squares, small and medium sized rhombuses, small and medium sized hexagons and striping in a variety of different colours.

Bottle of clear nail polish

Piece of paper



Taking a piece of square paper, roll it into a cone and secure with a piece of tape.


You want to make sure the end has a small hole and that the funnel you've created will fit into the top of your nail polish bottle.


I used a half empty bottle of clear polish I happened to have laying around. You only need half a bottle of polish so if you are using a new one (Which I would recommend as the polish won't be as thick as mine was), tip half out into a container. Insert the funnel you made into the top of the polish bottle.


Add a small pinch of each glitter into the funnel and it will go into your bottle!



Once you've added a bit of each glitter, give the bottle a shake to mix together and your done!


Paint on some black nail polish and paint on a coat of your own glitter mix! I'm going to call mine 'Party Popper' because thats what it reminds me of!


PS. I purchased my glitters from THIS eBay seller. 

----------------------UPDATE----------------------------

A little update for you, i've noticed that after a few days, some of the glitters have lost their vibrancy in the bottle, mainly the blues and greens have gone pretty much silver. While the polish still looks nice, for me, I specifically wanted it to look a certain way.

After some extensive googling, it seems that to solve this problem, you need to buy polyester glitter and then the colour won't fade of bleed. 

I'd suggest making little individual batches in a bowl as and when you want to wear this polish if you're using normal glitter.

I'll post a link up when I find a good stockiest of the polyester glitter. 

Lisa X 

39 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing!!! Love DIY projects like this one! I'll give this a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is such a brilliant idea!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome DIY, needa try this, considering my glitter nail polish somehow disappeared on me.. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love glitter nail polishes, but never thought to make my own! Brilliant :) yours looks amazing.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. best. idea. ever!!! i absolutely love how your one came out & its so cheap. definitely trying this out xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! love this, yet another one to copy! :P x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it!! This is amazing, definitely have to try it out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay I honestly can't thank you enough because I have been looking for a place to buy this particular glitter forever! There is a blog called Lynderella, and the woman makes her own polish that looks like this but it's rarely available for purchase and every other "craft" glitter will just bleed into the polish. Is yours still holding up? Thank you so much!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chantel That's who inspired this polish!! I emailed the lady who stocked it and never got a reply so tried making my own!! A week later and the colour seems to have come off the blue and green glitters so the glitter seems a lot more muted. I've googled and googled and it seems that you need to buy polyester glitter http://www.glitter-powder.com/zb-glue-stick-series.html in order to keep the glitters for bleeding or losing colour! Next mission is to locate that!!! F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-I-N-G! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Www.glitterperfect.co.uk has the polyester glitter you wanted. This is my first adventure into glitter polishes- I nearly paid £11 for one the other day, but am now doing my own polishing and sprinkling with glitter leftovers from a glitter tattoo kit! Thanks for your inspiration.

      Delete
  10. Well crap!! I was really hoping that stuff would work. I contacted the ebay seller and he/she said it would be fine, but I guess they're just trying to make money..Let me know if you find it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this. I to love Lynnderella. I am wondering if everyone is having the same problem I am with her blog. When I try to access it I get a log in page saying something about I have to log in so people can see my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep it's saying invited readers only... maybe she is having a revamp!? Her polishes must be the hardest to get hold of EVER! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for this tutorial. Living in The Netherlands it is expensive for me to buy ready made glitter nailpolish from the USA. The shipping kills it. I will purchase a few glitters from that ebay seller and make small batches so they wont lose their vibrancy (I hope). Maybe I need to buy a few small jars :) I cant wait to order my glitters !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I might give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wowwwww nice !!! i like this !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wowww this is awesome yall defenitly have to try it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, that was a great post...Very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, you can try to sell this on etsy or somewhere online. You said you have 10 bottles left, right? It can be a fun start-up business for you! Were you just able to come up with this tutorial by yourself? It’s pretty easy, fun, and exciting! I wonder if my li’l sister would wanna try this. She’s fond of glitters, but I dunno about nail polish. I think she’s old enough for this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow. This is amazing. I also appreciate the post of the ebay glitter vender site. Thank you for that. This going to be my new hobby. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i just bought my glitter!! i was wondering, since my set came with 90 glitters, how much of eac did you use? and which ones did you use in your polish?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello try out www.glitterperfect.co.uk as the site explains which of their glitters is Solvent resistant therefore fine to use in nail varnishes. Love the effect of your Party Popper nails.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been told ( working at a craft store and from other poliosh makers) that Martha sewart glitter is popular becasue it is polyester and will not bleed, I have sent a email out to verify this.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have used Martha Stewart several times and some of it does bleed unfortunately. I have just found this great site that tells you about all you'll ever need to know about glitter, if it bleeds, and where to buy it!

    http://polishandpigments.blogspot.com/p/glitter-suppliers.html

    I've just placed a couple orders, fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. As someone who is super addicted to polish and also very active in the world wide polish community I can tell you that all craft glitters will bleed. You can order glitter from TKB Trading. You can also order the suspension base and bottles there to make the polishes you want. As far the polish that inspired yours, if you are still trying to buy some don't waste your money!!!!! Good luck hun :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it, going to give this a try!

    abrunettesbeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea!!!
    Thank you!
    I've been searching for so long for this kind of tutorial....
    and you were so kind to attach the link to eBay! I have ordered it right away :-)
    Thanks

    P.S: I'd be happy to see the combinations that you made, for an inspiration o me

    lorinim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. It was wonderful making this glitter Nail polish!! I enjoyed it so much!! I'm so excited,because I'm going to check out all of your tutorials, because they sound so fun!! e and my mom love to use your lovely recipes!! By the way, I'm from south korea, and I've used a lot of your tutorials for school projects!! P.S. I'm only eleven years old!! And I love to use your tutorials!! U rock

    ReplyDelete
  28. Is it just normal clear polish?

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is the perfect accessory for both kids and adults!!!
    Glitter Tattoo Kits

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great Franken! Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I reading your blog & I got it you provide wonderful service at any kind of beauty product etc.


    Cheap Nail Polish & Wholesale Beauty Supplies

    ReplyDelete
  32. I noticed some useful tips from this post. Thanks for sharing this.......... Online Shopping.

    Buy nail polish online & Oil free liquid foundation

    ReplyDelete