1) You'll need:
1/2 packet of puff pastry (You can buy this ready rolled too!)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar (caster or granulated)
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg (Optional)
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
(Mince Pie Swirls)
1/2 packet of puff pastry
1/2 jar of mincemeat
1 packet of marzipan
You will also need 1 egg for brushing onto your pastry, flour for rolling out your pastry and icing sugar.
PRE HEAT OVEN TO 200°C/ Gas Mark 6/ 400°F
2) Remove your packet of pastry from the fridge 20 minutes before use. Dust your surface with plain flour and cut in half.
3) In a bowl, combine your sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a microwave, heat your butter until its melted and then add 1 tablespoon to your sugar mixture and stir.
4) Roll out your pastry until it's roughly 1/2 inch thick and in a long rectangle shape. Brush the pastry with some of the melted butter.
5) Spoon your sugar mixture onto your pastry until it's covered and press it down onto the buttered side.
6) Roll your pastry up like a swiss roll trying to keep it tightly together.
7) Using a sharp knife, trim a small slice off each end of your roll so the ends are neat and then cut into 1 inch pieces.
8) Place each slice onto a lined baking tray and flatten slightly with your hand. Brush some of the beaten egg on the sides of your slices and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
1) Taking the other half of your pastry, roll it out to 1/2 an inch thick. Take your marzipan and roll it out to the same size and width as your pastry and lay it on top. Spread your pastry and marzipan with a layer of mincemeat.
2) Using the same method as before, roll up like a swiss roll and slice.
3) Place on a lined baking sheet and flatten sightly. Brush some of the beaten egg on the sides of your slices and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Once cooked, allow to cool and then dust the mince pie swirls with icing sugar and mix some icing sugar with water and drizzle over your cinnamon swirls. Eat with a cup of tea!